Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We consider ourselves to be pretty earth-friendly here at Racked LA, mostly because we don't require any dead trees to spread our shopping love. Plus, we recycle and stuff. So in honor of the upcoming Earth Day, we've pulled together a list of some fun eco-friendly products that don't look like they belong on a commune.
1. Catherine Malandrino's new eco-friendly tote is probably the only thing you can get in the store for $25. It's called J’ai Deux Amours, or "Love of Two Cities," referring to NYC and Paris. But what's really great about it is that it's lightweight and made from 95% recycled materials. We'd totally use it as a year-round beach tote, to show those suckers in NYC and Paris what they're missing in LA. You can find it at Malandrino's LA boutique.
2. Novella Royale is a collection of studded leather bags that are made from vintage leather jackets... meaning they come with that already-worn-in look and feel. The bags are handmade in Los Angeles and are even lined with organic fabric. They're not cheap—prices range from $395 to $705—but they are one-of-a-kind.
3. LA-based Body Conscience firmly believes in the "3-Minute Shower." The line predominantly focuses on body bars and body polishes that are meant to be rubbed on the skin before turning on the water for a shower. The organic, sugar-based formulas cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize all in one fell swoop. Plus, you drastically conserve water using this process. You can find the delicious-smelling (and temptingly edible) products at Fred Segal Apothia.
4. You've probably stumbled across Avalon Organics in a Whole Foods or Gelson's, but we recently had the opportunity to try the cleansing gel and facial toner from their Vitamin C line. They're 100% vegetarian, full of antioxidants, and feature ingredients like white tea, cucumber, papaya and aloe. Plus, we kind of like the way it tingles—that totally means it's working, right?
· Catherine Malandrino [Official Site]
· Novella Royale [Official Site]
· Body Conscience [Official Site]
· Avalon Organics [Official Site]