Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We thought we'd take a cue from every other blog ever and put together some gift guides for you. This one features some seriously affordable under-the-radar gifts with ties to Los Angeles. Support the home team and shop local this Christmas.
· Although Dogeared Jewels is a national thing after being featured in magazines like Lucky and Seventeen, shopping here is totally shopping local for us. Not only is everything made right here in LA, but they take great pains to keep it all eco-friendly. And their stuff, like these gold bead earrings, is actually wearable.
· Certain foods just have a reputation for being luxe, like champagne and gourmet truffles. So that means champagne truffles from Teuscher Beverly Hills are like doubleplus luxe, right? They come in gold boxes and you can even buy them with pretty flowers or Santas on the top, but really, who pays attention to the wrapper when there's chocolate inside?
· Rotem Gear creator and designer RJ Roth has a similar sense of humor as we do, which is something we can totally appreciate. So if you get a kick out of our daily comments (and if you don't, why are you even reading this?), check out some of her snarky tees. Our favorite? The gotta-live-in-LA-to-appreciate-it “Loved Your Script.”
· One of the most unexpected sources of cool stuff is Oakley's lifestyle collection. Their Caia Koopman Scarf features some hauntingly cool artwork. Plus it's a light cotton knit, so it's perfect for LA nights.
· Speaking of hauntingly cool things, Tarina Tarantino's Skull Stretch Bracelet is equal parts macabre and sparkly. Plus if you buy it through the FIDM Museum shop, you get 25% off and get to support two Los Angeles-based fashion institutions at once.