Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
1) Tara Reid: The actress launched her Mantra by Tara Reid collection at Project trade show in Vegas this week, a collection of "T-shirts, dresses, bikinis, ponchos and hoodies decorated with trinkets, charms and beads in eight bright colors that are meant to inspire emotions," per Off the Rack. Priced from $65-$180, Reid hopes to get it sold at major department stores by early 2009. Her quote from the blog is a bit sad: “I love acting but I can’t hire myself. If this works, then we’re in business. If not, I tried.” No word if she burst into tears seconds later, but, who knows? Heidiwood sold out at Kitson in mere hours. [Off the Rack; Photo via Popcrunch]
2) Paris Hilton: Hilton definitely keeps her brand, from apparel and footwear to fragrance. Building on her Clipin-Go by Paris Hilton Hair Extension system for Sally Beauty, the bottle-blonde has launched yet another hair extension option for the beauty co. called 'The Bandit.' It's basically a headband with Velcro to attach extensions. Sounds ridiculous and overpriced at $70-$80, but would be fun to snatch off someone's head. [RackedWire]
3) Beyonce Knowles: The singer is adding jewelry to her and her mother Tina Knowles' junior label Deréon, in a partnership with fashion jewelry company Carolee. Priced at $16-$68, WWD reports the collection includes "edgy, black leather cuffs as well as necklaces, charm bracelets and hoop earrings in metal, glass and enamel," in its same "catwalk meets sidewalk" fashion philosophy for the brand. Plans are to distribute via the same Deréon apparel shops, such as Macy's and Dillard's. [WWD, subscription req]
4) Venus Williams: The tennis star launched her EleVen collection for chain Steve & Barry's in 2007, and has been at work at the spring '09 line, telling W to expect "Bigger prints and more prints. I was inspired by a lot of the designers' collections from fall, like watercolors and things like that." What's more interesting is that she tells the fash pub she wears the line all the time. To the US Open: "I'm wearing a bodysuit this year, with a skirt over it. It's bright pink and black with a rectangles print on it. I'll also be wearing the Goddess dress that I wore at Wimbledon, but this time in fuchsia and in black. And with matching shoes—they're black and pink, too." But what else does she wear? "All I do is wear EleVen; you can't find me in anything else." Uh, except at that moment, in which she was wearing DVF. But still, we have to check out the quality on this line, as other Steve & Barry's merch wouldn't last one match! [W]
5) Justin Timberlake: The pop star's turn as William Rast for his label of the same name is out in the form of a number of trailers at williamrastmovie.com. Also starring model Erin Wasson, the two are lovers-on-the-run from some sort of Bonnie & Clyde crime spree. It's done in a dark and sexy brand of chic-hick—Southern accents, backwoods backdrops, hideouts with taxidermy, and makeouts on the sofa. [William Rast]