Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Photo via Bag Snob
1) Mamie Gummer: Wouldn't have anticipated this one. Meryl Streep's daughter, actress Mamie Gummer, is the new face of Parisian label Gérard Darel, replacing French singer/actress Charlotte Gainsbourg. Per WWD, Gummer is busy these days: "Currently appearing in the Roundabout Theater's production of Les Liaison Dangereuses on Broadway, Gummer has two films due out this year while her first Darel campaign, shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin in New York, breaks for fall." There certainly isn't any denying the mother-daughter resemblance, especially in the Darel campaign photos, which you can see more of here. [Bag Snob; WWD, subscription req]
2) Emile Hirsch: The Into the Wild and Speed Racer star is the new face of Valentino men's, marked by the summer '09 runway shows. Per FWD: "Emile Hirsch, the face of the Valentino menswear presentation, made his big Paris debut earlier today. The company’s designer Ferruccio Pozzoni welcomed the young star with the open arms." Another outta-nowhere choice. Was Hirsch on the fashion scene? We still can't shake off Hirsch's Into the Wild performance, which was impressively depressing. [FWD]
Photo via Just Jared
3) Michael Jackson: We'd heard rumblings about Jackson-as-designer, and it is coming. Per All the Rage: "Michael Jackson—with his predilection for shiny, satin shirts, military jackets, and spangly silver gloves—will design a collection. And who better to partner with Jackson than Ed Hardy mastermind Christian Audigier? L.A. boutique Kitson will exclusively carry the threads." Wow, we can't wait to see how this turns out! Michael Jackson and Christian Audigier and Kitson? The gaudy potential is stupendous. The paparazzi madness at Kitson (we're thinking insane personal appearance) is looming. It could be spectacular, or at least, a very big spectacle. [All the Rage]
4) Janet Jackson: The other Jackson with apparel pursuits of late, the singer is working on a lingerie line slated to launch by the end of the year, per WWD. Nitrolicious comments: "I’m not really sure what to expect but hopefully it doesn’t malfunction like her wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl a few years back?OOPS!" That was more like strategic marketing. [Nitrolicious; WWD, subscription req]
5) Justin Timberlake: The face of Givenchy fragrance Play!, Just Jared got the first look and photos: "In the three ads, the 27-year-old Sexyback singer is featured in black-and-white ads listening to headphones/earphones in a music studio, on a balcony, and in a private jet." We applaud the choice to go black and white, really keeps the cheese factor at bay. [Just Jared]