Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Sellebrity, matching celebs with the labels they're fronting to sell, sell, sell! Why? Because it works. Below, the latest.
1) The Sartorialist: There's nothing to hate about this as far as we're concerned: Scott Schuman (pictured right), The Sartorialist, was shot for the fall '09 Gap ads as a "Gap Icon." From his blog post today: "I was asked about a month ago and it has been so hard to keep from announcing it on the blog." Regarding the new collection, Schulman gives it his stamp of approval: "...the Gap is back. If you look back at the archives to May 2007 I announced it then that signing Patrick Robinson, to head design... With the new delivery thats just hitting the floor now, you are starting to see hints of his effect. The Fall 2008 collection, however, really brings back a strong fashion element to Gap." [The Sartorialist]
2) Claire Danes: Just when you forget about her, Claire Danes pops up again—this time, as the face of the Gucci fine jewelry ad campaign, taking Drew Barrymore's place (the first celeb to front the line). Gucci creative director Frida Giannini told Fashion Week Daily, "For me she is one of the most interesting young actresses on the international scene..." She was charming in those Gap ads with Patrick Wilson. Though no one beats Juliette Lewis and Daft Punk on the adorable Gap ad score. [FWD]
3) James Franco: Speaking of Gucci, the Freaks and Geeks star has been enlisted to be the face of the men's fragrance. Per Catwalk Queen: Franco "will appear in advertising for the male version of the Gucci by Gucci scent, slated for next autumn." [Catwalk Queen]
4) Audrey Tautou: Another fragrance face. Per Rose Apodaca's blog La Vie en Rose: "The ink isn't dry yet, but it appears French actress Audrey Tautou will replace Aussie Nicole Kidman as the new face of Chanel's iconic No. 5 fragrance... And it just so happens the buzz (it's not official yet) comes as production is underway for Audrey's turn as Gabrielle Chanel before she was a legendary fashion icon in the French-made film Coco avant Chanel, which is slated for a 2009 release." Done and done! [La Vie en Rose]
5) The Coppolas: Because Marc Jacobs has to top himself, perhaps, Louis Vuitton will feature not one, but two Coppolas for its "core values" campaign. Per Women's Wear Daily, "According to sources, Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola and his daughter, Sofia, recently posed together for photographer Annie Leibovitz in Argentina, where father Ford is filming his latest movie, Tetro..." [WWD, subscription req]
6) Mel B: The Spice Girl (pictured right) is the new face of Ultimo lingerie. Per Frillr: "The mother-of-two was chosen for the advertisements because Ultimo bosses were impressed by her lean physique, after she toned up for the recent Spice Girls comeback tour, and also for her stint on...Dancing with the Stars..." Mother of two? Looks pretty damn good. [Frillr]
7) Elizabeth Hurley: And speaking of barely-clothed bodies, per Nitrolicious, "Elizabeth Hurley is launching a series of her own swimwear designs in a diffusion range for Mango this Summer. She has been designing under her own label, Elizabeth Hurley Beach for three years now and admits she got thousands of bikinis!" She could start a non-profit where she gives bikinis to those in need. Especially with soaring gas prices, who has money for a vacation and a bikini? [Nitrolicious]
8) Sandra Bullock: The perky actress is now a cheerleader for the environment per TreeHugger, "Actress Sandra Bullock unveiled her new line of soy wax candles, called Bessence, on The Oprah Winfrey Show on Tuesday. 'I started researching and you find out about lead wicks and chemicals in your candles.'" Appreciate the effort. Horrible name.[TreeHugger]