Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Reality stars to actual stars, famous faces are the marketing maneuver for getting fragrance to sneakers off the shelves. Sellebrity keeps you in the loop on who's who in the game of moving merch.
Photo via kimoraleesimmons.com
1) Kimora Lee Simmons: It's not all tight jeans and off-the-shoulder silky blouses for the designer and former model, now she's taking her Fabulosity to the kids with a line of junior sportswear for JC Penney Co., in-store in July. From The Cut: "That's right: Kimora Lee Simmons is bringing the styles of the "glam-party circuit" to the training-bra set, so cover your 12-year-old's eyes now." [The Cut]
2) Patrick Dempsey: The Grey's Anatomy star already had an in with Avon, since his makeup mogul wife, Jillian Dempsey, has been the brand's global creative color director since 2006, but his role in super-saccharine Enchanted must have put him over the top to snag the men's fragrance gig. The fragrance will hit stores in November, 2008. Andrea Jung, chairman and CEO of Avon Products, Inc. told Fashion Week Daily : "We are thrilled to partner with Patrick Dempsey, an incredibly accomplished actor who has achieved such broad appeal because of his genuine authenticity, charisma and style." He's waltzing all the way to the bank. [FWD]
3) Johnny Depp: Johnny Depp for Trojans seemed like it might just be rumor, but a report comes from the Daily Mail via Style Crunch: "Depp, 44, a big advocate of safe sex education, would be expected to appear in a series of offbeat TV commercials for the company’s new Magnum range. Trojan bosses believe 'Rubber Johnny' would not only expand sales in the US but also help inspire an anti-AIDS campaign to send free condoms to third world countries. The Pirates Of The Caribbean star also holds huge sway with teen fans and one slogan the ad executives are playing with is: 'Stand up with Johnny for safer sex.'" Again, they could really work on that slogan. [Style Crunch]
4) Margherita Missoni: Cool kids collab alert. Missoni will be designing a line of sneakers for ProKeds—one of Damon Dash's holdings—which will benefit Orphanaid Africa. Per Stylehive, "The half-a-dozen or so pairs are covered in collages of Africa-inspired prints and will be sold at snazzy retailers like Barneys and Colette." [Stylehive]
5) Kathy Hilton: Paris and Nicky's mom smells monied and delicately floral with the release of her My Secret scent, now available at Macy's for $52-$68. Go to kathyhiltonfragrance.com for a chance to win Mother's Day brunch with Kathy, Paris and Nicky. Ripe for potential twisted comedy. [Racked Inbox]