Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Everyone's been wondering what the demise of LA label Mike & Chris would be, after word of restructuring and its NYC showroom rent going unpaid. But we had hear that Green Mochi LLC had come into the picture, and WWD reports today that the brand "hopes to weather the recession without sacrificing design through a licensing agreement with Green Mochi LLC."
Per the trade, co-founder/designer Mike Gonzalez will continue to design and Green Mochi, "which holds equal partnerships in contemporary label Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent and A.L.C., the fashion line launched for next spring by celebrity stylist Andrea Lieberman," will deal with "production, invoices and shipments."
Also part of the deal: "Mike & Chris will consolidate its New York and Los Angeles showrooms with Twelfth Street’s," as well as "consolidate shipping, factoring, warehouse, invoicing and any operation that isn’t related to Mike & Chris’ design."
Above left, a look from spring '09.
· Mike & Chris Make Licensing Deal [WWD, subscription req]
· Mike & Chris Restructuring Official [Racked]
· More Distressing Mike & Chris News [Racked]
· Troubling Times: Mike & Chris Can't Pay NYC Showroom Rent [Racked]
· Mike & Chris Rep Says 'Very Much Still in Business,' Meanwhile, Finanical Woe Rumblings Date Back to March [Racked]
· Mike & Chris "Restructuring," Future of Label is Uncertain [Racked]